How I Say the Pledge of Allegiance

As a Christian living in the United States, I love my country and seek the best for it. I gladly join my fellow citizens in expressing my commitment to its well-being.  Because of my Christian commitments and beliefs, however, I mentally emend the text of the Pledge of Allegiance as I recite it. I cannot offer any nation or other human entity my unqualified allegiance.

* * *

I pledge a qualified, subordinate and temporal allegiance
to the Flag of the United States of America,
and to the Republic for which it stands;
one nation among the family of nations;
under God, not divine, less than God;
indivisible, but not eternal;
fallible, and subject to God’s final judgment,
with aspirations of liberty and justice for all,

Popular posts from this blog

If My People

The Problem with Religious Affiliation Codes

Is the President Saving Religion?